Possibly, the most significant difference between wealthy people and those who struggle financially is their money mindset.
And the best news is because you change your beliefs, habits, and behaviors, you can change your financial situation.
The beliefs, behaviors, and actions you take determine how your entire life unfolds. Your choices guide you in creating a financially free life you love or a bankrupt life you despise.
You have heard me say you deserve financial freedom. I believe anyone can create a life with a secure financial future.. That said, you must want it and take the necessary action to make it a reality.
Too often, people turn on the pause button and instead spend their time hoping to win the lottery so they can retire comfortably.
If that sounds familiar and you want more control over your financial destiny, you must change your mindset. And the best news is that you just need to make a few changes.
What is Money Mindset?
Your financial mindset includes your beliefs, attitudes, and feelings about money. It can also affect your inner peace, ability to sleep, and even the joy you experience in your life.
People with healthy beliefs and feelings about wealth believe things like:
- They deserve to be wealthy.
- Attracting their desired goal is easy and possible.
- Wealthy people are honest and trustworthy.
Results of a Healthy Mindset
- Debt-free lifestyle
- Spend money consciously
- Secure financial life
- Priority on personal finances
- Long term focus
- Prioritize saving money
- Positive money mindset
- Limit use of credit cards
- Belief you can manage your money
- Replace a bad money mindset (AKA scarcity mindset) and negative self talk with a healthier disposition
- Avoid financial mistakes such as carrying balances on your credit cards
In addition, they avoid habits that create a poverty mindset, and they know that the ability to “shift your mindset” is a way of life.
The Power of Affirmative Statements
Successful people also understand the importance of stating goals in “I am” or “I active verb.”
Their counterparts use statements such as “I will (blank)” or “I am going to.”
They avoid stating goals using negative words, such as “I don’t overspend” or “I am not good with numbers or money.”
Specific and positive stated goals are the key.
What is a Money, Abundance, or Success Block?
An abundance block can be thoughts, feelings, and beliefs that get in the way of achieving your desired goal in life or money.
Some blocks to your abundance are like boulders and are easy to identify and remove.
For example, you may have grown up poor. Money was always an issue, and while these beliefs are problematic, they are easier to identify and, therefore, easier to remove.
Others are like a nail in the road. While they can be hard to see, they can wreak havoc on your journey to financial freedom. The 7 Principles of Becoming a Fulfilled and Wealthy Millionaire eBook shares an effective strategy to identify these barriers.
Part of the process includes writing out the question with your dominant hand.
For example, “Why am I nervous about becoming a bag lady and ending up broke in retirement?”
Then, with your non-dominant hand (typically your left hand), answer the question.
Continue to write until the answer appears or another question surfaces, as it will help you discover blocks that you are not consciously aware exist.
What is the Formula for Financial Freedom?
The winning Financial Freedom Formula combines your foundation, strategy, and execution.
The winning formula combines all three elements – not just mindset.
Learn more about these components here: Financial Freedom Formula.
How Is a Money Mindset Formed?
From an early age, you start developing beliefs and behaviors. This often makes identifying and removing them difficult and time-consuming. Factors that influence it include parents, teachers, and religion, to name a few.
Asking yourself questions can help.
- Were you taught that people with money are dishonest?
- Do you believe you can’t be wealthy and spiritual, wealthy and honest, or financially free and happy?
- Were you told when you were young that money doesn’t grow on trees or that you can only earn money by working really hard?
The messages, stories, and experiences we have in our lives determine how we see the world. As a result, we develop one of the two: an abundance mindset or poverty consciousness.
Releasing Success and Money Blocks
A common trait of a healthy money mindset is the ability to remove blocks to success and money.
Examples of Common Money Mindset Blocks include:
- I don’t deserve to be rich, wealthy, successful, fulfilled, happy, etc.?
- Money won’t bring me happiness (to which I respond, “Neither does poverty!”).
- I don’t do money or I am terrible with numbers (This assumes you can exit this world without dealing with money which is rarely true!).
- Money is evil. In other words, because money is bad, I am broke.
How to Improve Your Money Mindset
1. Hire a coach or mentor, read a book, or purchase a course.
While a coach or mentor is ideal, read a book if you can’t afford one. Some of my favorites include:
- The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy
- 7 Principles of Becoming a Millionaire for Life by Yours Truly!
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason
- Take Your Time by Eknath Easwaran
2. Create affirmations
- I am enough.
- I deserve wealth. As a result, we are meeting our financial goals.
- My partner and I accumulate (amount) with ease. As a result, I am on track to achieve my financial goals!
Remember to state your goals in an “I am” or “I active verb” statement.
3. Visualize your dream life.
For over five years, I visualized my mountain home. Every morning and evening, I would look at my visualization book and imagine what it would feel like to own and live in it.
Then, I decided I wanted a condo overlooking the ocean. I imagined it with panoramic views overlooking the ocean and mountains for ten years. As a result, I now have a cabin in the mountains and a condo overlooking the beach!
I had a specific vision for our condo. I dreamt of it being on the top floor but low enough to look out at the ocean and not down. When my husband and I walked into what is now our condo overlooking the ocean, we knew it was the right choice.
The power of visualizing our future and what we want is one of the most powerful skills you can develop. It also helps remove success blocks and attract what you desire.
4. Develop habits that support your dream.
Regardless of the challenges you face, you can develop habits that will support you in achieving your goal.
Studies prove it takes between 18 and 254 days to change a habit, on average 66. That is only about two months.
The secret is to get clear on what you want and then consistently execute.
In conclusion, simply focusing on what you want will help to make it a reality. When you get off course, don’t overanalyze or stress yourself out, just get back on track.
You Can Change Your Money Mindset
The Strangest Secret, written by Earl Nightingale, changed the trajectory of my life. In the book, he shares, “We become what we think about.”
Think about that statement.
As a result of simply changing your mindset about money and success, you have the power to change the trajectory of your life.
In addition, you deserve wealth, success, and fulfillment as much as anyone else! In conclusion, simply focusing on what you want can make it a reality.
Access my bestselling book, The 7 Principles of Becoming a Millionaire for Life.
You will access 40 years of research about the money mindset, wealth accumulation, and living fulfilled.