The first step to living your dream is to create your life by design.
This quote by Robert Hayes says it all, “Held in the palms of thousands of disgruntled people over the centuries have been ideas worth millions – if they only had taken the first step and then followed through.”
In 2000, when I reached my net worth goal, I took a deep breath. While I was proud of what I had accomplished, I knew that my work was far from over. It was time to get really clear on what I wanted to do with the remainder of my life. I sat down and listed five goals and then committed to achieving each one.
1. My primary goal was to help advisors, entrepreneurs, and consultants build profitable businesses and create amazing lives. This goal also encompassed teaching entrepreneurs and women how to create financially free lives that they love.
2. I wanted the freedom to work from anywhere that I desired. Be it the Mediterranean, Kauai, one of my homes, or any other place in the world.
3. My third goal was to ensure that my businesses would continue to generate residual streams of income so that I would be making money whether I was working or not.
4. My goal as to continue to grow, personally and professionally and contribute, so I could truly make this world a better place.
5. I wanted to remain open to whatever the universe sent me and remove my attachment to what I thought my future should look like.
Setting these goals may seem like a laborious task, however, when you fast forward and look at the business and life that you have created because of your goals, you realize that the process is life changing. The experience shifts from a chore to a prerequisite!
While all of my goals were, and are, important, my first and fifth goals have had the biggest impact on my life because they motivated me to establish and run one of the most successful performance mastermind communities in the world. If someone had come to me twenty years ago and told me what I could achieve, I would have thought that they were crazy. I now realize that the secret is to set your goals, create a plan to achieve them, and then continue to do the work until you do!
To better set goals, go here.
Now, it is your turn to create your life by design blueprint.
Begin by asking yourself these questions:
- What is my big picture goal?
- Who do I want to serve?
- What impact do I want to have on their life?
- Do I want a flexible schedule, a consistent paycheck, or both?
- What type of business do I want to create?
- Is this a non-negotiable for me? (In other words, what do you need and want, and what will you not tolerate?)
- What is my bottom line?
- How will I generate revenue?
- Will I get paid based on a time-for-money model, or will I create a passive and residual income model?
- How much money will I need to earn to become financially free?
Amazing things can happen when you are crystal clear on what your dream business and life look like, and you remain open to new possibilities.
If you want the insider scoop on what super successful people do to create an amazing business and life, start here: